View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 09:45 AM
bryris
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Hotel

For what's it worth, I've been flying at a hobby level for 20 years now. From 2006 through 2008, I instructed and eventually flew for a regional. Went fine until the economy crashed and I was furloughed. However, prior to 2006, I had earned by degree in accounting and had worked in the field for a couple of years. After 2008, I went back to school, earned my CPA license, and got back to it. For the last 10 years, I've done well at it. I make good coin. Even bought a Piper Cherokee to fly around on the weekends. I can afford a nice hangar, a mini fridge full of drinks, and to keep the airplane up. I get a lot of pleasure in that airplane, keeping it nice, working on it, flying it. Then I get all the other stuff too: home every night, etc. This works for me.

If I stick with this, I'll never fly a jet again, or frankly anything high tech. But, I can fly, when I want, how I want (within the limitations of my time and budget).

I still long to be a professional pilot on some level. Its truly still a part of who I am and will always be a part of my life journey and I am thankful for that chapter. But, the majority of me knows that I am on the right path where I am right now. That works for me. Perhaps it will for you too within your own construct.