View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 PM
scrapdog
Smells like teen spirit

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Mil and Civ

Originally Posted by TankerDriver View Post
In regards to the 7/7, 15 day or 18 day options for your schedule, what are your opinions on the best QOL schedule. I'm currently a full timer in the Air National Guard after coming off Active Duty about a year ago and after being deployed 200-240 days a year, it's nice to be home for a change. I've toyed with the idea of going to the airlines, but my motivation for a 121 career has pretty much gone down the tubes for various reasons. The money as a full timer in the guard is pretty good, so I would be taking about a $25,000-30,000 pay cut to do the guard part time with starting pay at NJ, which I'm not *too* concerned with. What I am concerned with is the 7/7 schedule. I just don't think that's a great schedule for family life, but I could be wrong. With the guard, I'd also be looking at the weekend drill once a month, flying 3-4 times a month and an alert day here and there, so my 14 days "off" from NJ would turn into about 8 days off. Any other guard guys doing the NJ thing?
I'm not with NJ, but don't forget - you have the right to mil drop any trip you've got if it interferes with military duty you HAVE to do. My point is...you can still have respectable days off and mil drop a few trips here and there for military duty.