View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 06:04 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by aajones5 View Post
Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?
I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.
Going to give some sobering numbers: UPS has nearly 2900, less than 10 are under 30. Less than 50 are under 35. Less than 240 are under 40 (8% of the total pilots younger than 40). Don't know FedEx, but as they hire similar populations, maybe roughly same? So opportunities likely similar.
The under 30 group mostly were regional (where most got the TPIC requirements) and then ACMI for a period generally less than a year.

Regionals to ACMI seems a common background for UPS and guessing FedEx too.

Challenges with both UPS “Gateway” and FedEx “Runway” programs is matter of factly placed in their announcements. No guarantees Subject to needs (both partners needs also apply as if drain to many pilots from their partners, then they also suffer service capacity loss. It must satisfy both so service is maintained. Moving up to UPS or FedEx is actually secondary. The programs are good for both because folks join these companies hoping to ramp up. All the rage these days to capture new pilots. UPS and FedEx just matching the legacy carriers in committing folks to their pipelines.

UPS ---“The Gateway Program is open to individuals who have successfully completed UPS Airlines’ Intern Program and have been identified by UPS as eligible for the UPS/Ameriflight Gateway Program. The agreement affords the opportunity for UPS interns to potentially qualify for employment with Ameriflight and UPS Airlines, respectively, upon completion of outlined experience and training requirements. Ameriflight and UPS may offer employment to eligible pilots subject to their hiring needs, hiring standards and the program requirements.”

Fedex--- “The Purple Runway program is not a guarantee of employment as a FedEx trunk fleet pilot. Participants that have completed the program and meet FedEx qualifications will be invited to participate in the interview phase of the selection process before external candidates.” Purple Runway - Mountain Air Cargo, Inc.

Viable?
Both new programs and perhaps both airlines will actually make these productive programs for the folks who pursue the path. However, many "traditional" other regional/ACMI/Charter/Corporate/military etc competitive paths will actually provide FedEx and UPS the majority of their new hire classes. Simple numbers.

Specifically, as mentioned by others, regionals provide opportunity to grab many more hours in a year than flying at Ameriflight, Empire or Mountain Air Cargo (all great companies where you will learn some very good flying experiences that will serve you well in your aviation career).

Your question though, is it the fastest? Unknown at this time as new programs.
Don't rule out the regional/ACMI/Charter route. UPS hires many Atlas FO's (and Captains). Fair amount of Omni folks get hired as well (percentage wise for size of Omni).

Looking at backgrounds: Fastest route today percentage wise (by the numbers and necessity) is where you can build most hours the quickest in the left seat at a regional as a minimum. Often these folks go short term at ACMI/Legacy/LCC etc next.
Fix on what you believe will satisy other elements of your life so you enjoy the journey as well. Perhaps that is the relatively new programs UPS and FedEx have partnered with their service carriers.
Enjoy the journey and don't give up dreams.
Cheers