View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 12:45 PM
kronan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

Originally Posted by FXLAX View Post
How many different iterations of possible scenarios should we chair fly? The substitution chart doesn’t make sense to me and gives me a headache just looking at it (probably because no one I’ve asked so far has been able to make sense of it to me, but then again, I’m just a pilot).

There is something to be said for simplicity. The problem with these type of contractual clauses that supposedly is good with pilots is that ultimately, if the pilot doesn’t understand it, it’s useless. When a contract is overly complicated, it makes it less likely for pilots to be able to enforce it. If it’s difficult to interpret, the pilots won’t know when they are being abused.

The contract needs to be simplified.
There are 3 scenarios.

Early cancel. Which happens occasionally when the equipment changes post bid award, but prior to the month starting. Few years back had one Airbus friend go into SUB every Tuesday + Thursday for the entire month due to this.

Small trip overlap. EG, supposed to be back at Midnight and you have an 0130 show, but you don't block in til 0200. (Note-Company might\might not remove you and place you in SUB for an overlap like this. Only requirement is to reschedule your outbound departure to accommodate one hour in Memphis. In this example, simply putting an ETD of 0300 works. Note-NO debrief time required and you'll likely walk into AOC with a Contact Crew Scheduling page echoing and the potential to have to call to check-in)

Big trip overlap. EG-you return at least 12 hours later, but more likely your return slips a day.

(A small subset is removed for legality or a weather cancellation---EG, Nothing CRS can Use you for. Situations like this pretty much a no brainer to stay in SUB. But that's just me. I've spent some time chair flying the various options and thus, don't have to reinvent the wheel every time SUB comes my way)