View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 02:11 PM
busdriver12
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
OK, it used to be that you didn't have to stay in MEM for the IAP, so I would get on the jump seat, betting they wouldn't call me. If they did, and they couldn't talk to you, that was considered a "decline sub" event.

They I heard that the company was calling people, and if they didn't answer, it was not longer a decline of sub, like it used to be, but something else, I can't remember what.

Can someone clarify whether or not you can get on the J/S during the IAP without harming yourself?
I wonder if you're asking if it is considered a "missed trip" if they can't get ahold of you? I hadn't heard of that, and can't imagine that would be a factor, though you never know of CRS's creative interpretations. Could that be an issue based upon the sentence in the contract, "except that no assignment may be rejected within 4 hours of showtime"? How did our negotiators ever allow that sentence to exist? I guess if they try to assign you a sub trip and tell you that you must accept the assignment, you can always say you aren't rested for that trip. Kind of a problem if you don't happen to be in Memphis (as of course, you're not required to be) and if the trip leaves from base.

I think if I was jumpseating home during my availability period, right before I went out to the airplane, I'd give them a heads up that I'm going to be on a jumpseat during that time. I would never call them to tell them I'm going to eat dinner during a standby period, that would be aggravating calling them every time I leave the hotel room. But I do call them at the beginning of my hotel standby trip to tell them to call my cell phone first if they need me.