View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 PM
pinseeker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by Mcdowel View Post
So... higher education is related to higher IQ therefore, better job performance...WOW....your theory is kind of right @KAVOK84 but doesn't relate in the industry that we work on my friend.

I don't know where you have flown, but it seems to me that only in america and with colleagues that speak your same language..

Let me explain myself.... In China, where i have flown couple years, the pilots know the FCOM by heart, the procedures, better tan you can possibly imagine and so on... Most of them have a very high IQ, but...when **** hits the fan, they get lost, VERY lost and therefore, they are not allowed to fly a heavy jet.

My point is, that you dont have to have a 4 year degree to be a safe and efficient guy flying an airplane, you just have to be a happy and appreciated person in your airline to get the job well done. If an airline is not able to recognize the experience in the real life that we live in, instead of having a 4 year degree, and they are having trouble finding pilots..then there is a problem, because in this industry, is not a better pilot who haves a higher IQ, is the one that gets the job done in a safe and efficient way, thats it, and experience is the only thing that can get you there

I get it that you don't like the 4 year degree requirement. I also agree that a 4 year degree isn't what makes someone a good pilot. However, right now, there are plenty of pilots that have experience and a 4 year degree. This requirement isn't something new, the majors have had this requirement for over a quarter of a century. If you made the decision not to pursue a degree, then that is your choice. That doesn't mean that you aren't a good pilot, it just means that you won't get called for an interview at the present time. If you want to work at FedEx, UPS, or one of the major US passenger carriers, get your degree. If you don't want to do that, fine, but coming on here complaining that the requirement isn't fair is just sour grapes. Companies get to make the requirement for the people they want to employ. Right now in the US, these companies don't want to hire someone who has the potential to make over $300K per year if they aren't motivated enough to get a degree.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.