View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 02:16 PM
Firefighterpilo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by Mcdowel View Post
So... higher education is related to higher IQ therefore, better job performance...WOW....your theory is kind of right @KAVOK84 but doesn't relate in the industry that we work on my friend.

I don't know where you have flown, but it seems to me that only in america and with colleagues that speak your same language..

Let me explain myself.... In China, where i have flown couple years, the pilots know the FCOM by heart, the procedures, better tan you can possibly imagine and so on... Most of them have a very high IQ, but...when **** hits the fan, they get lost, VERY lost and therefore, they are not allowed to fly a heavy jet.

My point is, that you dont have to have a 4 year degree to be a safe and efficient guy flying an airplane, you just have to be a happy and appreciated person in your airline to get the job well done. If an airline is not able to recognize the experience in the real life that we live in, instead of having a 4 year degree, and they are having trouble finding pilots..then there is a problem, because in this industry, is not a better pilot who haves a higher IQ, is the one that gets the job done in a safe and efficient way, thats it, and experience is the only thing that can get you there
This chicken and egg argument has been debated ad naseum on here. In reality this argument breaks down to those without a degree, arguing against it and those with a degree (usually employed at the carriers the guys without degree are wanting to work for) stating just bite the bullet. Personally I believe it’s a barrier to entry and if we want to be treated and paid as professionals it should stay. The carriers that pay lowest wages (ie regionals) don’t require it and as such hire any pilot with a pulse and pay as such. What others here are trying to get you to understand is that the legacy’s want a well rounded applicant, not just stick and rudder guys. One of the many reasons they have lately been putting a emphasis on volunteer work. We aren’t plumbers or welders and we view ourselves as white collared professionals. As such an emphasis on higher education is a good thing.