View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 12:07 PM
BAJ135
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by grumpydwarf View Post
OP Quote: "Let’s see, work all month 5 on / 2 off for a max of 8 days off each month? Airlines guarantee 13+ days off each month. OAM is going to making you do LEAP standby on your days off (illegal) and then you can’t be unavailable."

I drank the same Koolaid. Of those 13+ days off per month, plan on spending your day off commuting home and a day off commuting back to work. Then there are the times where you are involuntarily extended and lets not forget the winter cancellations and you are stuck in your base. Those 13+ days quickly dwindle down to 4 days, but at least its not all the time. There is no consistency and your body pays the price for that. Many rotor transition guys figured this out pretty quick and bailed. If you live in base, that takes some of the pain away, but it's still pain. I'll take an underpaid government job any day over flying for a regional.
Someone didn’t do their homework and apparently failed bidding 101. Not sure how you would end up with a schedule where every single one of your commutes is on your days off. I typically have 16-18 days off a month and hardly ever commute on my day off. This month I have 21 days off.

Originally Posted by grumpydwarf View Post
I have found that the airlines are not a fit for me and I am going to go back to flying helicopters. Has anyone considered the same? If you have any info on who is hiring (non-CFI work), please post the information in this forum.

Thanks.
Not sure if you’ve even been hired as an AIA but if you have please come back in a couple years and let us all know how great it is. Enjoy that unpaid move to your first duty location where you’ll have 8 days off a month. At least you won’t have to commute!

BTW since you like kool-aid perhaps you can volunteer to be a recruiter. You already know how to twist the facts.