View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 04:22 AM
2BEER
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2010

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
Here's a little life advice. When you apply to an airline, EXPECT to get called and be ready. I wrote a piece called "avoiding square corners" on this very subject. This week I was contacted by a guy who has corresponded with me informally for over 2 years about airlines, GA, etc. I thought he had already gotten his ducks in a row (prep, logbooks, etc). He texted me this week after he got a "fix it" email, asking "is this good? Will I get called?" Before I could even reply, his next text was "hey...they are calling me in...."

Now--he wants to do an interview prep course. He needs to make complex travel arrangements and get time off from work. He needs to tighten up his logbook and paperwork. I expect he also needs to get a suit, as I doubt he's done that either.

That's a lot of crap to work though in 2-3 weeks.

Use this rule: IF I APPLY, I EXCECT TO BE CALLED..... Get your stuff ready now. If it sits in the closet 3, 6, 12, 18 months.....so what. All you have done is make sure you'll be less of a stress grenade when the email/phone call finally arrives. Conversely, if you don't prepare you may find yourself in a miserable thrash.

Murphy also says when it rains, it pours. I see a lot of pilots getting 2-3 interviews in a short period. Even if you don't get called from your first choice, be ready for option B and C as well if they call first.

So--get your stuff ready. Can you get it done in a month? Then apply ASAP. Scrub the logs, get the suit, do a prep course (if you want) and do some test study. Make the process systematic and not a rush. Then you will be ready whenever the opportunity finally does show up...
Coming from personal experience I have to say this is solid advice. Do not make the mistake of underestimating the amount time and effort it takes to prepare for an interview. I put off the bulk of my prep until after the interview offer and I was really lucky that they offered an interview slot just over a month out. They offered earlier dates but I realized I wasn't 100% prepared and would rather take the small hit in seniority than not get on the list at all. I interviewed successfully but it was a stressful month leading up to the big day(s). That being said, prep early and reduce your stress levels come interview time.

*I also had the advantage of having several Pt. 91 corporate/HNWI interviews in the 18 months or so prior to this one. I learned a lot of what not do and say during that period, so between the recent lessons learned and solid prep I went in to the interview feeling confident and ready.