Thread: DAL Class drops
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Baradium
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
Pilot legend and lore still harbors the mythos of barely current long call pilots with epic beards living their best life fly fishing in Montana in between cliff diving competitions in Acapulco. Anytime someone challenges that narrative, someone will cut in quick with an isolated anecdotal example to the contrary, but standby for the shattering of dreams.

As mentioned, the 12 hour leash will make it virtually impossible, at least for large swaths of the day, to even theoretically be able to do it with a 2 flight commuter clause buffer, let alone the chance to do it anywhere near rested. And you won't be on LC very much anyway; expect SC or trips to get you there on day one the vast majority of the time (assuming a narrowbody, 756ER or even a 767-400 assignment...if and when 330/350/787 [LOL] assignments reach newbies that may change the game a little bit in theory, but the 12 hour leash in your case will still be awfully short even then).

When you do find yourself on LC, it will often be in the middle of a group of on call days. IOW only the most hyper Iron Man commuters desperate to lay in their own bed for as little as a couple hours after a trans con commute only to dash right back out for another trans con commute...you get it.

The LC system as we have it is not commuter friendly at all (a few exceptions like BOS/DCA-NYC commuters etc) and you won't be getting it very often for very long anyway. Splurge on a good pad and plan on using it, buffer in a generous hotel budget, or agressively slip trips on your terms as able.
I didn't do long call from home, but I sat long call much more than short call. I get that you're the grass is always brown type, but your expose is a bit high on the "life is horrible here" side.

What I personally did was put all my reserve days together in a big block. Take half the month off and the other half be within the leash. Every 3-4 days scheduling would give me a day and a half off to reset me to have 4 day availability (they get to choose your days off for that but it also gives you free extra days off). West coast you could commute those times if you really wanted to I guess. The 30 hours rest gives you 40 hours you know you don't have to be in domicile as you have a 10 hour reduced report when you're immediately back if on your schedule far enough in advance.