View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 02:52 PM
R5311
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2019
Default ATC Considering Making the Switch

Hello all,
Since about three years old being a pilot has been my dream. I Got my PPL and Instrument almost 8 years ago, and was on track to start my commercial, and, to make a long story short, I saw the state of the airline industry, a lot of discontented pilots, and I ended up as an air traffic controller. I’ve been doing that for almost eight years at three different facilities and I’m feeling burnt out. There are so many pros to this job—being home (almost) every night, good pay, retirement, government security (save for a furlough here and there)...but I can’t see myself doing it for another 25 years. I’m 32 now in CA. I’d essentially have to start over since it’s been so long since I’ve flown. Taking a huge pay cut and investing a lot of money into this is honestly daunting, as is the thought of instructing, time building, as well as the whole career change thing. I’ve heard of pilots doing the switch to atc, but not as much the other way.

I think about flying every day, but the sentiment that follows is usually “the grass is not always greener!” I always think about an AA pilot I knew from years back who told me I made the right choice in not trying to come the airlines...this was when the economy was really in the sewer, though.

Anyone on here who’s made the switch, or care to give any perspective?