View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 AM
Douglas89
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2019

I will chime in with my situation/experience since it is somewhat similar to yours.

I work for in the construction management field. We are an owner's rep. I have always had a desire to become a pilot but never really considered it to be plausible. Now I make enough money to pay for training and pay for entry level pilots has improved. I am 30 years old and recently married. Wife is on board with me pursuing a career in flying. I work typically 8-5, sometimes 8-7. I am trying to adjust my schedule as best I can to fly at least 3-4 days per week. Typically booking flights for the evenings (5 p.m. - 7 p.m.) with a few morning flights (7 a.m. -9 a.m.)

I am training at a part 141 school (Only 5 minutes from my house) They use King Schools for their ground school. (Online program. I like better than books, because they have a lot of good videos and I am a visual learner). My plan is to work full time while doing all of my training (do not have the funds to not) and once I have completed my CFI, try to get hired at my flight school.

Like others have said here, you should really try to get your PPL first before leaving your job. That way you have a better and more realistic idea on how much you actually like flying, natural aptitude, etc.

Good luck!