View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 PM
JonnyKnoxville
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
Well, we disagree about a lot of what you said. I don't see you or I to be a victim of The Man or The System. Rather than be a Social Justice Warrior decrying the system, I would rather work the system -- really any set of rules that applies to me -- in a way that puts the most money in my pocket. Start worrying about showing The Man that you're a man, too, and you will waste a lot of time on things that have nothing to do with compensation.

A scorched-earth policy sounds nice when politically grandstanding, but it costs the members a lot of money and actually delays an outcome, which means that people go a long time at one pay rate when they could be making more money at a pay/rules rate that is not optimal but higher. In my opinion, the more-quickly contracts get turned, across more airlines, the more $$ in members' pockets. Get the deal done, take more compensation, then set up for the next one, while your brethren do the same, thus helping to advance you. I think it plays into management's hands to constantly be at war, but it creates a context for leaders to hold their positions and try to unify troops -- and to shout down differing beliefs. It has been so since the time of Sun Tzu, and certainly Brave New World.

I think better to get the agreement done, spend the lawyer money on wording the contract correctly, and enforce the crystal clear contract provisions through the grievance process. Meanwhile, start working on the next contract.

You can feel free to disagree about strategy, of course. Mine is just an opinion. But I'll bet it's one that's shared among some of the quieter members of your pilot group.

As pilots, I do not view us as a victim at all. I view us as living in a world with a set of rules that are designed to suppress us. It is not bad, it is not good, it is what it is. This just means we have a greater hurdle to overcome. I mean honestly, how much skill does it take to say "no" at every negotiation session for years while reaping the benefits of cheap labor? The playing field isn't level and I won't play victim, I will work to change the playing field.

I see a common assumption you make about assuming unions constantly engage in political grandstanding as well. There is none. We simply aren't interested in it. I see no benefit in engaging in it and don't get the point of it. Your mileage may vary.

A smaller deal now is better than a bigger deal later....what you are describing is called a time value of money proposition. I understand it well. In order to have a time value of money comparison, one has to have an offer now versus a greater hypothetical offer later to compare it to. The common mistake is making the assumption that an offer is on the table. There is not, nor has there ever been an offer on the table. Until an offer is made, you are just describing a fantasy scenario.

Your data tracking on aircraft is impressive, you may want to stick to that and leave the labor relations to those better suited for it.