View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 04:52 AM
Sea16
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2019
Default Career advice - USA/Europe

Hello everyone!

I'm 23 years old and soon about to obtain my master's degree. Becoming a pilot has always been my childhood dream and I reached a point, where I want to pursue it.

I'm currently living in Europe (born and raised here), but I've also got the right to work in the United States. What I'm trying to find out is, if becoming a Pilot in the United States is even an option for me (mainly because of my English skills). I can imagine, that Airlines would prefer other Students, native English speaker, and choose them over me when I get to the point of looking for jobs.

To tell you guys the truth, I'm not the biggest fan of moving to the United States, but I'm considering it, in order to live my dream. The job market for pilots in Europe isn't the best. Right now basically, every fresh pilot out fo flight school gets hired by airlines, but there's no guarantee that by the time I'm being done with my getting license (ATPL) it'll be still like that. Things could change, and it would take me years to land a job until the market recovers again.

If I'd start working on my ATP in the States, there would be a higher chance of me landing a job, as the US Pilot Job market is definitely a lot more fertile than the European (got its ups and downs too, but all in all definitely in better health).

I'd love to hear your opinion, what you'd do in my position. Going for it in Europe or in the US. I know everyone has another opinion, but it would be great to hear your comments about it. Maybe there are things I haven't considered and thought of yet.

Also, just a random question aside, is there a possibility to convert a European EASA ATPL to an FAA ATP?

Sorry for my bad grammar and spelling mistakes.

Thanks in advance!