View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 02:49 AM
Sea16
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by zondaracer View Post
Yes, you can transfer FAA to EASA and EASA To FAA. You do not have to do the whole course over. Your hours count. It would probably be a faster process to go from 0 to Commercial with the FAA and get a job and then start working on the EASA conversion. If you are motivated, you can go from 0 to commercial certificate as quickly as 6 months in the US, but your first job will probably not be flying a jet, but rather towing banners, flying skydivers, flying a PC-12 or caravan, or flight instructing.

If you do your training in Europe, your training will be closer to a year and a half but when you finish, you may have an opportunity to fly a passenger jet but you may end up paying for a type rating (which are much more expensive in Europe, approx €30,000). There are some legacy carriers in Europe that don’t make you pay for your type rating, but most new commercial pilots are going to the low cost carriers and paying for the type rating.

Would the training in the States be difficult for someone who isn't fluent in English like me?

Doing my training in the states and convert to EASA isn't really what I'd want to do. Either going "all in" in the States and start working on building up my career there or getting my ATPL in Europe and converting it to the FAA equivalent.

Has anyone of you guys got details about how the conversion would work? Maybe someone went through the process ones and can share their experience.