View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by UNDGUY View Post
In regards to getting the boot at 57. I am almost 40. From what I have read on the issue, if you haven't got your 20 in when you reach 57, you can stay until 60 at the latest. Is the staying till 60 an automatic thing or does this require approval by a supervisor? Can they deny you your retirement if they feel it is not in their best interest to keep you around?
*Generally* the government will not let you start an operational job with a pension unless you can qualify for the pension. If they let you start, they will generally let you finish. Obvious exception in the military you have to get promoted a few times (up or out), but you know either way by the the ten year mark. Always a slight potential for layoffs, job elimination, etc. but that doesn't seem to happen much on the LE side to my knowledge.

So typically they would not put you in the position of needing year-to-year waivers at the discretion of your immediate boss to get to the finish line... that kind of authority is held higher and typically by policy not exception. The one time in the mil when I had a guy in that position (odd combination of drilling and IRR reserve service), we were starting the paperwork to request the first of several needed one-year HYT extensions, and he got a proactive letter from PERS authorizing extension all the way to 20, before we even asked.

I would expect to get it in writing at the time of hire.