View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 AM
CaseTractor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: Pipers!

Originally Posted by NAVIG8R View Post
Current Active Duty Air Force E-8C Navigator almost done with my PPL. My intentions are to finish my ratings, then become a CFI until I get the hours for the regionals. I’m hoping to Palace Chase to a C-130 unit and continue to serve being a Nav in the guard or reserves. Would love to meet others out there who have taken a similar path or are on the journey themselves.
Welcome, and don't be fooled, it is a long hard road, but doable. Front load as much training as you can while you have AD pay. Get as much hours as you need to get picked up by a P135 passenger operation after you separate. Don't drop the ball on the palace chase, its tough to juggle and you want to make sure you find the right unit. Avoid a double commute to ANG/Reserve and your airline domicile. IF there is a place you can drill and drive to airline work, seriously consider moving there. Some folks say CFI is the route to go for hours while others say P135 Passenger Airline is better. Pros and cons to each, but not exactly the main topic of this thread. I did P135 and am thankful every day that I did.

There are very few of us, I know of one at SWA, one at AA, and one at UAL. It took all three a LONG time to get there through various routes, all so long ago that they are not really relevant to these times. I am still at a regional, but have been doing a lot of work on the mil side lately due to operational needs.

Good luck and feel free to PM if you have more questions.