Thread: Bezos in CVG
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Tango Uniform
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by PurpleToolBox View Post
As an employee of FedEx Express, I would be a liar if I said Amazon's decision to start moving their own goods doesn't concern me. However, allow me to be the naysayer. I don't believe anything Amazon is doing is anything "short of amazing." How so?

Walmart is going head to head with Amazon. Walmart has been way up and beat sales forecast and the market's expectations where Amazon is sort of at a peak and has slowed. I am not an Amazon subscriber but I increasingly and anecdotally hear people say "Amazon isn't the cheapest anymore" ... there's also a lot of people saying they need to get Prime deliveries on time before they start committing to one day shipping. In short, Walmart is rapidly becoming more like Amazon, and Amazon is rapidly becoming more like Walmart. So why should FedEx be worried? I don't know.

E-commerce makes up only 12% of the total logistics in the world. Amazon, in the USA, makes up half of that, but not worldwide. FedEx's largest customer makes up no more than 3% of revenue. Amazon, per Fred Smith's admission is only 1.3% of FedEx's revenue. Yet, FedEx is growing because the increase in not only from its core businesses but also in the growing e-commerce sector (not from Amazon).

Amazon leasing some planes doesn't seem to be a threat to Fedex when you start to understand what FedEx is hauling and what Amazon is hauling. However, should Amazon start wanting to deliver other companies and other peoples' goods/freight/cargo (not Amazon boxes), that could be an issue. But why would they want to do that? To subsidize their own costs? Perhaps. They're already having trouble moving their own goods. Why take on the burden to move others' stuff at risk or slowing or disrupting your core business?

Additionally, Amazon's leasing of airplanes from multiple companies who have extreme labor and contract issues doesn't exactly describe an efficient and on-time operation. If they can't fill the cockpits now, how can they expect to fill 60 more planes?
Well said. Amazons competitors won’t be using Amazon to deliver their freight. Amazon isn’t the cheapest out there.

I do have a concern though with how they treat labor. Seeing some of the posts here regarding pay for pilots is concerning. The carriers for Amazon are driving down the industry.