View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 AM
Globemaster2827
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
Tough call. Atlas will get a contract, how good remains to be seen. If it at least comes close to Kalitta or Omni you may regret going to PSA for 7 years.
If you’re saying you upgrade in 3 years, assuming a new decent CBA, you’re walking away from $200+k a year....
going to PSA you’ll be under $60 until making Captain, then under $100k a few more years, then up to around $120k if you work OT for the rest while waiting to flow. Meanwhile you gave away at least 5 years at $200+k a year.
I’d make a spreadsheet using the ATI payscale vs the PSA payscale with your best guess at upgrade times. Then use the AA group 2 scale for everything after year 7, figure 3-7 as an FO before upgrading to CA and back onto reserve.
I say use the ATI payscale because I’m pretty sure Atlas will do better, much better, so it’s a safer comparison. Use the Omni payscales if you’re optimistic.
Factor in commuting/jumpseating if you don’t live in Base, which also means crashpads and going in a day early or staying a day late to commute when needed. No hotels in base at AA for cancellations.

I think you will most likely get street hired at AA long before you will ever flow. Start attending job fairs and network your tail off. Volunteer on one of the union or company safety committees. The big 6 need to hire more pilots over the next ten years than there are pilots in the entire regional industry. This assumes you also have a degree. They will eventually drop the requirement, but not right away. United already has it as a preference, not requirement, but the ones hired without it are very very very few. That could make PSA more viable. If you really want AA, I’d move to Dallas and go to a Envoy. With your existing 121 time you’d be a quick upgrade minimizing the time on crappy regional FO pay. Living in Base makes it a completely different job. Do not - DO NOT - commute for a regional. The QOL drop is huge.

Honestly, I’d stay where you are and just really focus on networking, job fairs, volunteering and polishing the resume. You’ll get street hired long before you’ll ever flow. Don’t overlook the LCC’s like JetBlue, Spirit & Frontier. They’ve become real jobs, with real payscales and direct contributions. Going to any one of them now, and you’d never be able to catch up by waiting seven years to flow to AA, then 3-5 more to upgrade and finally get over $200k.
Even with a new CBA at Atlas he's not going to be making that until he's a 747 Captain... That might happen in 7 years... A 50% pay increase would put a 767 FO at around $105k a year on year two.

I'd be looking hard at those LCC's to wait things out instead of staying long term at Atlas... Good advice.