View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 11:20 AM
AK15T
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2019

I've been with Guardian for about 6 months. So far, I have to say it's been nice. AMGH bought them a year or two ago, and they've done a lot to turn this company around. Most of the Kingair PICs up here in Alaska are making 90-100 a year, 20 on/10 off, or 2 on/2 off schedule. Kingair and PC-12 guys in the lower 48 are making more like 70-80.

There are difficult things about the job, but most of them are balanced by having a steady schedule. Middle of the night flights are common, most operations are single pilot, and being on call for up to 14 hours can wear you down. At the end of the day though, I definitely don't feel overworked(%90 of the time), and they're pretty reasonable about safety etc. Dispatch here isn't allowed to pilot shop, if you don't feel like coming home Part 91 16 hours into your day, they're pretty cool about it(so far).

Just like any other 135 job though, there's a lot of autonomy, and they expect you to be an adult. Calling fatigue 6 hours into your shift after one flight is a quick way to get on the **** list. My general experience is that if you're reasonable about doing every flight that you're capable of, they won't harass you for saying no if you don't feel comfortable doing something. The thing that causes the most grief are the pilots coming into this who assume they don't have to work. We're payed for being ready to go, and staying flexible, which means that getting woken up from your nap to go fly is a reality.

Last edited by AK15T; 05-26-2019 at 11:33 AM.