View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 05:24 PM
redbaronahp
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: B787 Captain

I’ve had an interesting career and my experience may help you make a decision. I started at a 135 flying twin engine pistons. I got 1000 multi time and then went to a 121 cargo airline flying ATR’s. I upgraded at my first chance and I got my 1000 pic turbine in 2011, but wasn’t competitive. I was only flying 300 hours a year which wasn’t helping. I went to another 121 airline which was an IBT1224 charter airline to fly 737’s as an FO and got to see the world. I would have upgraded in less than 5 years on the 737 had I stayed, but I wasn’t happy and had thought the experience would open doors but it didn’t seem to help. I got 1000 hr SIC B737 time before I left. A mentor said I really needed 1000 JET PIC 121 airline experience to be competitive. A friend recommended PSA to me in 2015 and said I’d be able to upgrade immediately with my hours. When I got the offer at PSA, Atlas came a knocking but looking at QOL and upgrade time I picked PSA.

I got the upgrade award at PSA while in still in new hire basic indoc. For me the flow was looking at 6.8 years, but a spreadsheet with the average attrition and the flow a new hire today is looking at probably 8.5 years to flow, with nothing changing in the industry.

When I was trying to make the decision between Atlas and PSA I had a new born and a 17 day trip with Atlas wasn’t going to work for us. Everyone’s needs are different but I was in my early 30’s with a family and felt like the low annual hours at Atlas and time away from family wasn’t worth it. I wanted jet pic as quick as possible. I’m glad I picked PSA because I’m now at a major airline and didn’t make it through any flow agreement, I did it on my own. Good luck with the decision!