View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 06:29 AM
TheGreatSantini
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2019
Position: 4000+ hours TT, 700 NVG
Default Holiday Pay/Overtime

New applicants, the devil is in the details. Here is the type of issues you have to look forward to.

I asked management today who is working the 4th of July holiday since the schedule still isn't published for July. I asked if there will be any seniority or system to determine who will be required to work that day.

BTW, its a Federal Holiday. So normally its a paid day off. Federal employees who are required to work that day get a premium pay to work on their "day off".

I was told whoever worked it last year will not be required to work it this year. OK, kinda fair I guess. People wont have to work on the 4th two years in a row. I asked if there is any preference to senior employees. No. Does the Mission Suport Staff work that day? No. Will management be here that day? No

Now here is the important part. I asked if we will get premium pay to work our day off, now that nearly all of us in the office are at the pay cap. Yep, you guessed it. His answer was, I don't know, but don't expect to make any extra money just because you are working a holiday now that you are capped.

There you have it. The bait and switch. Bait you with a special salary pay, then have you work for free on Sundays and holidays. So really its not a bonus. Its more pay for more work. But now the pay is capped.

Don't be fooled by this Special Salary Rate. Its good, but its has strings attached. Its like being in the military all over again. Everyone gets the same pay for different work. The E-3 mail clerk that never works nights or weekends gets the same pay as a E-3 that lives in the field and works nights and through the weekend. Not saying the ski is falling. Just saying this is what you should be prepared for.

These are the questions you should ask your recruiter. Remember, we are a 24/7 - 365 operation.

Do I get paid extra for nights, weekends and holidays? Will I get paid extra if my day off falls on a TDY day in a hotel? Will I get paid extra for any additional or special aviation qualifications or duties?

We do have nice uniforms, said nobody ever!