View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 05:03 PM
cubpilot802
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Pilot jobs will revolve around your ability to provide pilot services, more than your ability to turn a wrench, but there are a number of jobs out there that value mechanic certification.

Many utility type flying jobs (think agriculture, firefighting, etc) value those who have maintenance experience (though firefighting has moved away from that somewhat). Jobs in which you-break-it, you-fix-it value maintenance experience. Any job in which you fly and work in the shop will value your maintenance experience.

I got my first jet job as director of maintenance for a corporate flight department, which also put me in the pilot seat of a sabreliner.

Maintenance has been a saving grace when furloughed, and when seeking work when times were lean; others were getting furloughed and couldn't find work, I got work flying and turning wrenches.

It really depends on your goals. If your goals are flying for airlines, then the airlines don't care much about your maintenance qualifications, other than they do add to your list of qualifications on a resume. If that direction is where you're headed, then you'd be better off getting PIC turbine time, which likely as not points you in the direction of a regional.

You've got a little float experience; pilots with an A&P are of value almost anywhere in Alaska.

Also almost anywhere that flies seaplanes.

If you do head to alaska, you'll find that your maintenance background will give you additional income over and above your flying income, if you want to pick up side work.

Agricultural operators tend to prefer pilots who can maintain the airpalne, or help maintain the airplane. Most of the ag pilots I know are also A&Ps.

If you don't have a degree at present, The A&P will get you nearly all the way to an associate, and then you're well on your way to a four year degree that you can do online. Something to think about. That will also open doors to you, and is worth considering along with other future plans.
Ideally I am looking toward pilot jobs flying seaplanes but open to job opportunities in the agricultural sector and firefighting sectors as well. I have little desire to go to the airlines. Currently plan on attending the NAAA convention later this year in florida for options in the ag sector.
What would be your top company choices to look into? After going through many threads about individual companies on the forum. I have seen some good candidates, but maybe there are some diamonds in the rough I am missing.