View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 AM
Cessnaflyer1213
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Originally Posted by DarkSideMoon View Post
The syllabus, available on day one of new hire training, says to have the knowledge down before you show up. Ground/systems instructors should be reminding people about this too. You can memorize flows and callouts without guidance. If you’re learning all your flows and callouts during CPT you’ve already done it wrong. It’s meant more as a guided study to refine the material.
Available on Day 1? Yes ... have to to read, understand, and digest while going through Indoc and systems? Hardly. I understand the premise of this style of learning which is mostly driven by cost reduction. This “Survivor Island “ style of learning can be handled by some people, but many struggle. I also understand that this style of learning has a few supporters who think it’s a weeding process to help keep those who aren’t good enough or smart enough out. Only the strong and committed survive. Even the old Fundamentals of Instruction, that many were supposed to have read, will tell you that different learners learn differently.

I understand why AW chose to teach this way, but I don’t agree with it. I stand by my opinion that it is a poor learning system, with numerous flaws, based on an outdated model that was poorly designed to begin with. Indoc and Systems were smooth, well paced, and gave time for people to learn and understand the new world of regional jets at AW. It’s the same style of learning that people experience from Kindergarten on through all of their aviation training, because it works. Then there’s a huge shift in learning style ... I know it’s not AW’s job to make people’s airline pilot dreams come true, but the company’s success is literally tied to this poor example of training.