Thread: JetBlue vs UPS
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Hellafo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: B767

Originally Posted by SaturnV View Post
Oh wow. I’m assuming this was before B6 got their first contract last summer? If it was a couple of years ago I’m sure he could be a year 6 or 7 A320 Captain making $248/instead of $175ish as a UPS FO but a lot more than just money goes into those type of decisions.

To the OP: I’m a SDF native but live on one of the coasts now. I also have family flying at brown but I’m at B6. First year at JB is $43/hr higher but after that UPS is consistently $35-40/hr higher year after year. That adds up! But neither will have you in the poor house with captains at the top of the scale taking home $270k vs $310k at min guarantee as things stand now.

I’d say lifestyle is the biggest difference. UPS is probably more commuter friendly and has great long trips as well as shorter hub turning stuff that sounds tougher to me but I hear more local guys love it. JB has your standard 3-4 on 3-4 off schedule of mostly 3 and 4 day trips with some 1, 2 and 5 days (UPS has all these trip lengths and then some) and has you working typically working 13-14 days a month. I like 1,2 or 3 day trips to keep my nights away from at a minimum but I know most guys that don’t live in base like longer trips to reduce number of commutes.

JB has never furloughed...until they do of course. They’ve got 85 321NEO’s coming as growth starting this month as well as higher paying A220’s to replace the 190 starting next year. UPS has a lot of growth coming too with -8 orders and 767’s plus retirements really start to kick off in a couple of years so movement should be good at either. Id say you are very lucky if you’ve got the choice between the two!
Thanks for the insight, I live in South FL.
Driving to work is nice. The variety of flying is appealing at Brown but commuting to ANC isn't.