Thread: JetBlue vs UPS
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM
SaturnV
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by BrownDoubles View Post
A plan, B plan, OCV (vacation)... the advantages of UPS go well beyond top end CA pay.
Agreed. Retirement and vacation at UPS are truly industry leading. I’d love to have an A plan funded by a strong company like Brown to help mitigate market fluctuations. That being said I’ve got almost 40 years left until 65 if I am lucky enough to stay healthy so the 15% (soon to be 16% in Jan.) DC at JB should in theory be worth several million by retirement if I am being incredibly half glass full and likely unrealstic about how smooth my career will be. The UPS 12% DC does the trick too with the A plan adding diversity and icing on the cake if it’s still in place in 4 decades, therefore being the superior retirement package. If I was the average UPS new hire’s age, which correct me if I’m wrong is around mid-40’s? The A-plan would no doubt be a huge factor to bail on B6 over UPS if you had 20 years or less to fly part 121.

WRT OP’s question about leaving JB between years 1-3. First year I’d say it makes sense to bail from whoever to wherever you want. Year 3 on the other hand is trickier. If a B6 Pilot 3 years on property got the call from UPS to leave today they would be walking away from either being an A320 FO with some decent seniority making $150/hr to go make $46/hr but after 12 months $180/hr at Brown. I’d say you’d catch back up at Brown pretty darn quick unless that B6 pilot chose to stay and upgrade either on to the 190 or the 320 in a couple more years(190 upgrade around 2 years 2 months) that’s walking away from $200/hour on the 190 after 2ish years on property. After 3 more years at JB they could mostly like be a very junior 320 captain at $258/hr after 6 years versus leaving JB at year 3 then flying at Brown for 3 more years and being at $190ish/hr at Brown. Over the length of a career at Brown I think you’d make the difference up from leaving JB at year 3 eventually just depends if you want to sacrifice the short term for the long term. I think a lot of 3 year JB pilots intertested in playing the long game would choose UPS but maybe not a no brainier like it used to be once you are on property for 3 years.

I’m sure I’m over simplifying things but these are just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by SaturnV; 06-19-2019 at 07:58 AM.