View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Cirrus2turbine
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Originally Posted by usernameanxiety View Post
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anybody can shed some more light on QOL/reputation at some of the 135 organizations in Hawaii. Right now I'm looking at Transair, Kamaka and Mokulele to fly part time for a few years (I'm still active duty, but in a job with a really flexible schedule) then transition to full time once I separate. For reference, I'm a navy guy (super hornets) with 1150 hours.

I'm new to this community so I apologize if I'm not adhering to any forum bylaws - just let me know and I'll flog myself accordingly

So far what I've gotten from the rest of the forum is that kamaka is fly for free, and that generally doesn't bode well. It seems like it's a relatively short requirement, basically time to get comfortable before you start flying solo legs. Luckily I'm already getting a paycheck, so working as an unpaid loader for a month doesn't personally bother me, but I've read on here that working for a fly-for-free type of company can brand you in a bad way.

Transair seems to have a smattering of opinions around it, some of them sound pretty scathing. However I do think it'd be cool to fly the SD3-60, and it's probably better experience for later on as well.

Mokulele seems to be positive all around, but I did read something about how they don't have a great relationship with Hawaiian airlines, is there any truth to this?

Right now my main goal is pretty much just to log time and break up the monotony of my day job - any advice at all would be appreciated!
So what's your day job, not flying the SH anymore? Can't get the 50 hours flying them or limited to less than 10 hours per month?