Thread: Class drops..
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 05:05 PM
King Julian
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2012

Originally Posted by Globemaster2827 View Post
Currently there are less 767 new hire spots than 757 spots because of the pay difference. Despite that it's the same type. So if you get stuck on the 757 it's important to bid over to another airplane ASAP to get more pay ($30-$40k a year). If you go to the 767 it's only a differences course. The first event to clearing OE is probably 2 weeks vs getting a new type that will take you longer to get a slot for and then longer to complete (3 months). So if they hire 200 757 pilots in a year probably 100 of those go to the 767 next.

Because of all this 757 pilots who are senior to new hires bid over to the right seat of the 767 and have more seniority. More than half of those added for the first year to year and a half will be senior to you in the right seat of the 767. Because of that it'll take you longer to control your schedule.

On the 757.... There's so much movement that you can be in the top 30% on the first system bid. You'll add 15-20 people underneath you every month.

Would you mind expanding on what kind of schedule differences are there between those aircraft? My impression of FedEx 757s is that I see them all the places I used to see 727s. The 767 not as much? Is the 757 basically the domestic hub-turn workhorse of the operation at this point? Would it be safe to assume, in addition to the lower pay rate, the majority of that aircraft's flying are those serious night-shift runs through MEM that earlier posters were describing?