Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM
used2fly
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Default Facts

I love the guys that say you will get less if you are not in a union. I was flying for a union carrier, granted rotary wing but still valid as it is aviation. The contract changed and the new shop was not union. I was able to bargain for myself, instead of collectively. I was able to negotiate a 20% raise over the union shops pay. I was also able to negotiate an extra week of vacation over the union shops collective bargaining. Union provided insurance with a premium, the non-union employer paid for the entire premium and refunded any deductible. I think collective bargaining is good for those that have neither the inclination nor ability to effectively bargain for themselves. I chose not to be a member of the union when with the union shop because I personally don't believe in unions. I know that my situation is anecdotal, but those that make the blanket statement that you are worth less to an employer if non-union are not correct as a blanket statement. There are some benefits, such as job protection, that unions provide, that is also undisputable. It isn't for everyone but don't make the statement that you will make less, because in at least one circumstance that was clearly not true.