USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Thank you for posting quickly ncbull.

Here is some additional information.

External announcement: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/537394900

Internal announcement: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/537395700

Note: The internal announcement is also open to former excepted service federal employees eligible under an interchange agreement. Current or former federal employees must have met a one year probationary period or trial period in the competitive or excepted service. Applications will be accepted from preference eligibles and veterans who are honorably discharged from the Armed Forces after completing at least 3 years of continuous active duty service. (VRA hires)

This is a intro paragraph to very basically explain the job:
Participates in the data gathering, analysis, and flight inspection of navigational aids (NAVAIDS) and instrument flight procedures (IFPs). Recommending certification, restrictions, or removal of NAVAIDS and IFPs from service in support of the national airspace system (NAS) or under the authority of the FAA
There is a new promotion order/sequence that these new hires will be under.
I am told that offers will be made directly to GS-13 at hiring. The upgrade to ASIP is currently taking 12-18 months. Once passing the ASIP checkride and becoming a certified ASIP, they will be required to obtain 100 PIC hours, then be promoted to on a non-competitive basis to GS-14. Also, the SRS is still being worked on by management, but be informed that we are not funded by the same TITLE as the other gov't flight programs (such as JPATS, CBP, etc....) and therefore it seems to be taking more time and effort to get approval. It is not guaranteed at this time.

A reminder that this thread - especially in posts in the last few years (to cut down on saying you have to read the entire thread) is full of good and accurate information regarding the application and interview process. There is good information about the QOL and specifics of the job. It is my opinion that this is NOT a good time building job for a young pilot looking to get experience to move onto the airlines. I always emphasize that if you want to be an airline pilot, then this is a great time to apply to the airlines. If you are looking to improve your resume for all levels of airline flying there are MUCH easier paths to gain hours and such than the work required in this job. Buyer beware - just my opinion.

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 06-22-2019 at 09:12 AM.