Thread: Keeping cool
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post

Except that Phoenix is one of the busiest and most active flight training locations in the country, and where several airlines choose to base their ab-initio flight training, and where dozens of others their contracted flight training. The weather permits training nearly every day, year-round. It also means that much of the flight training must be done at lower altitudes for ground reference pattern work, etc. Nature of the beast.
For a slight hit in available flying days, you can get a much better trade-off in terms of climate. Plenty of places that aren't so horrible to live and fly in where you can still get lots and lots of flying days. Lots of places out in the West that are dry at higher altitude (cooler).

I've used those ice-cooler things extensively and they do work, but they are kind of a PITA due to having to load them up with ice and then they start to crap out after what seems like not a long while, so they are most effective at the beginning of a flight, such as to get off the ground and up to a reasonable altitude. For my own plane, no way, I'd minimize time on the ground and just deal with it till I get high enough and I'd never fly low where it's terrible and hot in the summer. For flight training...maybe. It's not good enough where it's a solid win IME.