View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 03:33 PM
goinaround
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by maxjet View Post
Why do you see retirement as a major hole? If we did not get retirement, would you then leave and start over at the bottom of the pay scale at a new carrier. I realize you don’t work here yet, but if you got hired next week and the contract was renewed 4 years from today that is a question you would have to answer.

My opinion? Anyone who gets hired here and does not put 20% of their pay away for retirement is a fool. You may make more money later and have more discretionary income but You can never get the time back for compounding your interest in an investment.

If you took $25.00 an hour of your starting pay and put it into retirement you would still be making more per hour than most other starting salaries. Why depend on an employer to provide your retirement when you can so easily do so yourself.
Just about every other carrier out there offers a 15% DC. Anything you put on top of that is gravy. That's a deal breaker for a lot of people that have many years left in the industry. And yeah, I think a lot of people would leave after a few years and start over. FDX pay is about $180K second year. That's a LOT of cheddar over a 20 year career.