View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 AM
thrust
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

How long does it to take to get to the Denver domicile as a UAL new hire? I thought it was several years... seems like Denver is UALs equivalent to Charlotte, super senior and relatively stagnant. I’m sure someone from UAL could give you specifics. By the time you applied to UAL, got an interview, got hired, and started class... maybe add a year from now. So you’d give up 39 months at AA (holding CLT by then?) to start over, take a massive pay/seniority cut (you’re on the very early end of a massive wave at AA) and spend however long commuting from Denver to SFO/EWR? Oh, and you can’t reserve the jumpseat at UAL, so you’re competing with a ton of senior UAL pilots for a ride, and they can bump you off at that last minute if they choose. F that. Why not just move to Denver, stay with AA, and reserve a jumpseat to commute to LAX/PHX/DFW/wherever since you’ll be commuting anyway? Met a guy that commutes to DFW from ASE. Sounds miserable to me, but he loves it.

Perhaps consider SWA if you’re that set on Denver. A buddy of mine got there within a few months of finishing Indoc. You will certainly have missed the early part of the hiring wave at SWA, but it’s a great company to work for (supposedly) and has a great culture, whatever that means (just ask them), and you’ll never have to do another long training course after you get trained on the 737.