View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 AM
UnprotectdPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019
Position: CA

Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
I have mixed feelings about that group. It’s a great opportunity for a helo guy in the right context, but sometimes not the best move. I have seen a trend since the inception of the RTAG and the RTPs that it has gained its own momentum - a lot of guys who are believing that they’ll do a short stint at a regional and be moving on quickly. I believe the reality settles in quickly starting with such low airplane time. The merits of mil service in and of itself helping in the application process can be debated, but straight helo - especially RTP - to legacy will still be a lengthy road for most. All my opinion of course.
Exactly, couldn’t have said it better myself. Unless hiring practices change with downward pressure on hiring minimums, military helicopter flight time currently has little to no value to any highly sought after career airline job. At best, it’s a “veteran” block check on the resume right now. I feel like some of these RTPs and affiliated groups are selling the dream that they’ll be at the Big 6 within a few years because of the elusive “pilot shortage” when that won’t be the case for most.