View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 PM
Hobbit64
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by UnprotectdPilot View Post
I was following their public page and RTAG Nation group closely and have to disagree. The only mil helo guys at the legacies in that group also had significant Army turboprop and/or jet time (the Dash, C-12, UC-35) which qualifies them as mil fixed-wing pilots. I think it’s dishonest they were advertising rotorheads going to AA or United when they had at least 1,000 Army FW TPIC.

The only helo guys there that had zero Army FW time in the group were at carriers like JetBlue, Allegiant, Spirit, or Frontier.
No. Some of us just aren’t really vocal. Are you whining?
Some of us made the jump to the regionals Pre-RTAG and maintained Army RW flying in the Guard/Reserves.
While I did have Army FW time prior to making it to one of the ‘Big 6’, I also had 121 PIC at a regional on my resume that outshined the Army flight time. The army FW time was definitely not the majority of the FW time on my resume. I was asked to go the the Army’s version of FW training BECAUSE of my regional experience. Nothing disingenuous about the RTAG site. There are a few of us old ‘APTAP’ folks still milling about.
To clear up, or fine tune something you erroneously spoke to, our ‘FLIGHT’ time in Helicopters may not be counted in the Flight Time Grid by some folks in the hiring departments, but your leadership roles while acting as a military aviator *WILL* be counted. i.e. Stan Pilot, Safety Officer, etc. So, please do not discount your experiences.
You will be surprised at the looks and requests for more ‘war stories’ you get when someone finds out you flew RW in the sandbox or mountains. Do not underestimate the importance of being able to interact/tell stories/bond with your team mates in the 121 World! To the point, I love finding out that someone flew 130’s and then seeing their face when I thank them for feeding me. They look at me quizzically until I tell them about a horrible little dirt strip I flew -64’s off of that is tucked into a sh!tty corner of never-never land. When I say: “I always love meeting you folks! You guys kept me fed and watered. We really loved watching you come in and drop off beans, bullets and what not! Thanks!” With out exception, each one lights up and remembers a tough approach, landing and challenging takeoff. And here is some grunt saying ‘thanks!’ Simple. Brothers/Sisters in Arms. Nothing cosmic. It is all stuff you should have learned at the age of 4 in the sandbox.

The other guys here are way more qualified than I. Listen to what they have to say. They walked this path long before I did. Do Not cry in your wheaties or discount your flight time or experiences. Get after it. Grind away. Clock 3000 to 4000 hours of FW time with 1000 PIC and come on over! The Water is Warm! Enjoy your Brothers and Sisters in Arms while you’re in the service, but at some point, the focus becomes YOUR needs and not the Army’s.
To the folks that think the Army’s Needs always rule: “God Bless Ya!” I no longer do.

P.S. JetBlue is a fine company and offers a great product. While I don’t fly for them, they employ some great people. If B6 had offered me a job before I got the one I have, I would have been ecstatic.
Good Luck and realize that that the Army pushes you down IOT make you stay. The company I fly for is polar opposite. Heck!, even my little girl loves my employer. Find a place that values You, and doesn’t tell you that you might as well stay because you can’t make as much anywhere else... (yes, I received the propaganda the army pushes instead of actually fixing problems)
Take the Leap!