Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Das Auto
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by hdgbug View Post
This.

WUP execs have said that they aren't leaving Gama. However, the contract renews every year. I doubt anything will change during the contract period, but WUP has the opportunity to walk away from Gama every year. Everyone saying it would be impossible to switch operators is wrong. It would certainly be challenging, but with planning, doable. If WUP was serious about staying with Gama long term, they would sign a multi year contract. Until then, we are only safe (sort of) for a year at a time.

My biggest concern currently is can Gama retain crews. We are losing a lot of pilots recently from what I've heard. Some going to the majors, but I think most going to better compensating competitors. Is WUP willing to negotiate with Gama to increase the compensation package in some way to keep pilots here? Or now that they have their own certificate that they have more control over, will Gama be seen as disposable if costs are deemed too high and thus Gama loses the ability to negotiate?
I'm sure Wheels Up has a plan. The problem is nobody knows what it is. You stated that there is a big turnover right now, which if true would mean a reduction in compensation would be a suicide mission. More probable is that they are working behind the scenes to establish their own certificate or looking to aquire an existing King Air operator with the 350 already on their opspecs. Cut out the middle man (ie. Gama)
That's just pure speculation on my part, but either way those aircraft need to fly every day and a major disruption to the system would be detrimental to the bottom line, and any subsequent IPO.