View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 12:23 PM
nitefr8dog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by goinaround View Post
I went to K4 from ABX. You paint a strange picture from what I experienced. I never had any dead head airline trips into position to start work. I was always sweating the two leg RJ jump seat to get to CVG. If you happen to live in a city that is serviced by DHL hub service...I suppose it's fine. I live out in the boonies....and for me the difference with home basing now is night and day better. AND....the company is contractually bound to get me home on my last day. No JRM. This month...I'm going home a day early with a 1 in 7 on my schedule for the last day....which I will enjoy at home.
Was that pre Amazon? You never see some of our pilots anymore with all the commercials...it also probably depends on where you are on the seniority list and what trips you can hold. In the last 20+ yrs I have maybe jumpseated to/from work on a passenger carrier 6-8 times. Usually it's because I went to visit my Daughter on my days off and could not ride in on our system. I have been a two hour drive from a system jumpseat the whole time with missed trip protection. If for some reason I get bumped, weight, mechanical etc..I go home.Ymmv. I think it's funny sometimes when an off line carrier pilot with home basing decides instead of going to the hotel at 3 am then getting up and going to the terminal to catch his flight home starts riding on us or another system carrier because he can be on his way 2 hrs after block in and get home 10 hrs early going to the same destination...had to give up something to get the homebasing...crazy. As far as JRM...nobody does them unless they want to...I don't.