View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 AM
64apache
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2019
Default Would you start this process at 45?

Hello,
I’ve hit a point in my life where I will be making a career change; I will be retiring from the Army in the next 18 months. My background is in aviation maintenance, but I am looking to get out of the maintenance world and into the commercial pilot world.

I do not have any pilot ratings whatsoever, so I am pursuing a zero to hero path. That being said, I am currently about 20 credits short of a BS in Aeronautics from Embry Riddle with the intent of completing the flight training at the Daytona Beach campus once I retire. My understanding is that this route would allow me to qualify for a 1000hr R-ATP. I still have the majority of my GI Bill benefits, and that should cover most of my cost due to the license being associated with a degree producing program. If this is not correct, please let me know.

Now to the main question I have: for those of you that have been in this game for a few years, knowing what you know now, would you start this process at 45yo (zero hours) and would it be realistic to think that you could make it to the majors by 50-51?

Thanks, I welcome any and all advice.