Thread: $292,000
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Phuz
Kerbal Rocket Surgeon

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DTW 717A
Default $292,000

In the past I have been reluctant to invest in a company I worked for on the grounds of too many eggs in one basket. However I have slowly been coming around to the idea of voting as a shareholder for the company with which our financial futures are collectively tied.

So as to the title of this thread: If 14,500 pilots purchased 4,786 shares of DAL @ $61 ($292k ea) we would own 10% of the company. A large amount to be sure, but not "impossible" accounting for the ability of senior folks to hold more than junior folks.

It isn't the best investment on the market, it isn't practical for anyone who is new to the company, and putting all your eggs in one basket is generally a bad idea. But as a hypothetical, perhaps a long-term goal, if DAL pilots owned a sizable portion of the company we would see a drastically different management approach to how the pilots are treated. Activist investor pilots, scary..

We are the ones who truly care about the long term health of the company, while Ed & Co. are here today gone tomorrow with golden parachutes to the next venture. Consider owning some DAL (permanently) and voting for a management team that favors a long-term approach instead of quarter-to-quarter buybacks and vacations on DPJ to the Paris Disney over POTUS meetings..