Thread: Australia
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 05:15 PM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by JaredE View Post
Let me start by saying I'm super junior to all of this. So much so I'm still under Army contract. That being said...

The wife and I are looking at making Australia our home after my Army
career. The plan for now is to UQR, get hired with a regional, bank some 121 time, apply to Australian companies. I understand they do SO positions but no military type RTP like US carriers.

I considered applying for an SO position right off, but I want some 121 time as a fallback.

My question is, will I need to bank 1000 to 1500 hours of time as a captain (PIC) in a regional in the US before I apply or will I be competitive with 1000 to 1500 hours of SIC and 2000 of military rotary?
Assuming you have a CASA license with type rating holder, you’ll be competing with Aussies with similar type rating. The challenge you’ll face is earring the right to work in Australia.

With that being said, without trying to discourage you, is the 1,000 to 1,500 and US military time needs to be addressed after you obtain the right to work along with Aussie Airmen Credentials.

In any event... best of luck with your endeavours.