View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 AM
boilerpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Satan's Camaro

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
This is why I stay out of it for the time being. I am going to serve my stretch as a flight instructor then come on when I think I am really proficient at it. It just isn't worth the gamble. And the regionals have no problem burning through 250-500 hour pilot applicants. It doesn't cost them very much to have you come down and struggle with it and then leave. My guess is a few grand per failure. The low mins thing is not all it's cracked up to be as far as young pilots are concerned.
Um, it's a lot more than that. Aside from the physical cost of training you (teachers, materials, sims, etc) there's the opportunity cost as well. That's another 6 weeks that you have to wait to fill a seat, plus interviewers that you have to pay to interview a new candidate. Few grand? Few tens of grands maybe.

Having the "I'm expendable" attitude will only hurt bargaining for higher wages and QOL in the future. You're worth just as much to them as they are to you, so don't short sell yourself. If they didn't want or need you, they wouldn't have hired you. It's not a "hell, let's hire 10 250s to give them the chance and see if a couple of them pass".

Also, I wasn't aware that AE training was so intense? I know people that have gone through without any problem whatsoever. Maybe not 250 hour guys, but certainly lowish time guys.