View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 09:51 AM
BoilerWings
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: wing-walker

Originally Posted by unitedflyers1 View Post
It is a shame that pilots hopes are dreams are destroyed by a bad training program. Don't get me wrong--Some instructors are real instructors while others are just medical or over age ex captains with a chip on their shoulder ready to kill off new recruits if they can't learn their technique instead of standard profiles
Congratulations for making it through training! I personally would like to see the resource that shows Eagle's 20% washout rate. Additionally, I would be hesitant to blame it entirely on the training department. It is true that things can be somewhat rough after changes are made and take hold. But I'm a bit of a cynical person, and would first look at the study habits and attitudes of those who fail out before judging the company. Enjoy Eagle, I hope to see you on the line soon!

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
And the regionals have no problem burning through 250-500 hour pilot applicants. It doesn't cost them very much to have you come down and struggle with it and then leave. My guess is a few grand per failure. The low mins thing is not all it's cracked up to be as far as young pilots are concerned.
Hiring new pilots is never cheap. Washouts hurt the company more then help it financially. They're a loss of money; an investment with a negative return (although it is a good thing for the safety of the flying public to washout those who do not meet standards). Even if hiring new applicants was cheap, it still wouldn't make financial sense.

I commend you for committing to flight instructing for a period of time before applying for the airlines. Any extra experience you can gain before entering the 121 world will only make you a better candidate and increase your chances for success in training.

Originally Posted by boilerpilot View Post
Um, it's a lot more than that. Aside from the physical cost of training you (teachers, materials, sims, etc) there's the opportunity cost as well. That's another 6 weeks that you have to wait to fill a seat, plus interviewers that you have to pay to interview a new candidate. Few grand? Few tens of grands maybe.

Having the "I'm expendable" attitude will only hurt bargaining for higher wages and QOL in the future. You're worth just as much to them as they are to you, so don't short sell yourself. If they didn't want or need you, they wouldn't have hired you. It's not a "hell, let's hire 10 250s to give them the chance and see if a couple of them pass".

Also, I wasn't aware that AE training was so intense? I know people that have gone through without any problem whatsoever. Maybe not 250 hour guys, but certainly lowish time guys.
Spot on IMO. (and it's not just the Purdue camaraderie talking)