View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 06:35 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
Serious question for the class.....if given the choice between some choke-artist with 5 failures in the past, and someone with a spotless record, who would you rather entrust your families life to? You don’t have all the details about anyone, but the checkrides are all done to the same standard, so who would you choose to keep your family alive while hurling through the atmosphere in a thin-walled aluminum tube several miles above the earth?
It's not that simple... in general aviation, checkrides are most certainly not done to the same standard so you have to consider the context. That's why I would not place too much emphasis on 1,2 or even 3 busts early in one's career. I would almost completely tune out 1-2 entry level GA busts.

Five busts however is a bit much, even a kid at the entry level should have figured out that he needed to do something different before getting to that point even if it was just getting a new school.

If I was looking at 23 year olds, yeah you'd have to take the one with no busts over five busts.

But if it 43 years olds, and the busts were all at the entry level, I would be more interested in the overall career statistics. Possible the guy with five busts could get the job if he had really shined to the point of proving his ability beyond any doubt.