Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 AM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by GoldenGooseGuy View Post
I feel like this is the reason so many pilots are engaged in side hustles. In my case it was driven by not only boredom, but the 'have a plan B' that all of the older, grayer pilots always warn you about.

Saying that the airlines are generally more secure jobs doesn't fit well with history, as the airlines are more volatile industries than most. They are highly impacted by economic downturns and oil prices and if you're out of work, there are few ways to transfer skills, as I discovered first-hand.
Except now we are in an early 1960's shortage of pilots as industry faces growth and significant retirements. Look at all the incentives for pilots these days. Vastly different than when you and me started. started. Outlook remains stable with retirements alone.
I really don't get bored, our company is constantly changing the operational requirements. Changes in the electronic world means literally daily changes. Go stale, don't stay engaged, will lose on the line. Very different from even when you left the industry.
Also, have friends bored in non aviation jobs, but must grind through 5+ days a week with little to no time to have the opportunity to do something on the side for additional enjoyment or plan B.
Again, glad you found a new path. Know a few others that have left, but majority enjoy the present opportunities and face same grind many others do in daily jobs outside of flying. Flying is had these days with software designed efficient scheduling, but still have opportunities for other interests. Mixed bag for sure, I'm not encouraging anyone to stay, but a few that did leave that know personally came back after dealing with the office world. (Were not entrepreneurs or own business owners)
Best