View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Packrat
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by FSSPilot View Post
I am convinced that Everts is the right place for me. Something about flying older machines that just feels so exotic and exciting to me. Combined with the beautiful Alaska scenery, it cannot be beat. I’ve also heard wonderful things about Rob the owner and also the family you become a part of. The more I think about it, the more I want to be a part of that. I don’t mind getting dirty or working outside in the harsh conditions. In fact, I rather enjoy that sort of thing, as I worked out on the ramp at GFK during my college days for multiple Winters.

Working the ramp in GFK would be an excellent preparation for working at EAC.

1.) What is the best way to get your foot in the door for Alaska flying? Currently, my plan is to hopefully fly for a Safari outfit in Namibia to reach up to ~1000hrs before coming back and applying at the Alaska 135s in person.

Working at any Alaskan Part 135 operation is an excellent way to build time for your ATP. Everts Air Alaska flies PC-12s and C-208s Part 135 from the Fairbanks base. They also have a Part 125 operation that flies different kinds of fuel to the villages. That would be an excellent "foot in the door" for the Part 121 operation.

2.) Approximately how much longer will Everts operate the C-46 & DC-6? What will replace them, eventually?

Right now the plan is to keep flying the DC-6 until 2030. That, of course, is dependent on the availability of the Avgas the motors require. The C-46 operates out of Kenai and Fairbanks almost exclusively.

3.) I see Everts operates a 727 for ZeroG. Do Everts pilots have the opportunity to bid different types? For example, if hired on the E120, could one transfer eventually to the DC-6, MD-80, or 727?

That would be the ideal way for us to "grow" pilots for the Part 121 operation. Fly the Brasilia from the Laredo base until you have your ATP. Then either fleet up to the MD-80 or come to ANC and fly the DC-9 and/or the MD-80.

Best Regards,
Rob S.
Hope that answers some of your questions, Rob. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.