View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Broing
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Originally Posted by gordonam View Post
1) Private pilot flying in a C172 with an instructor. Can the student (who is a Private Pilot) log PIC and Instruction Received?
Yes.

2) Two appropriately rated pilots fly a Part 91 leg in a non-type required King Air 90. Can the FO (who is PF) log PIC time?
So yes, per the FAA since you're "Sole Manipulator." Per the airlines I think also yes. Only the PF in this case would log PIC time and the PM wouldn't be able to log anything. Unless the PM is an MEI and performing dual given.

I think there are some caveats for if an SIC is required per the operating certificate or insurance you can log SIC time.

3) Two PIC typed pilots fly a Part 91 leg in a type required jet. Can the FO (who is PF) log PIC time?
The PIC would be the captain even if you're flying as the FO period is my understanding. Sure technically it's PIC per the FAA's definition but airlines would not count that as PIC because as the FO you are not the "Captain of Record."

I think the black and white answer is when you're Captain of Record in the left seat you can log PIC. I can log "PIC" time as a FO for my regional when it's my leg, but no way a major would accept that. "Captain" time is all that matters.