View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 05:10 AM
Das Auto
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by gordonam View Post
Questions with regards to logging PIC time in the 91/135 world vs 121. I've heard that the airlines wants to see PIC time as "Captain Time" only, not necessarily counting "sole manipulator of the controls" time and I'm wanting to ensure my logbook is absolutely correct. Here are a few examples:

1) Private pilot flying in a C172 with an instructor. Can the student (who is a Private Pilot) log PIC and Instruction Received?

2) Two appropriately rated pilots fly a Part 91 leg in a non-type required King Air 90. Can the FO (who is PF) log PIC time?

3) Two PIC typed pilots fly a Part 91 leg in a type required jet. Can the FO (who is PF) log PIC time?

Until now I have kept a separate column for "Captain of Record." Just wondering where the airlines stand on logging PIC time without being labeled Captain of the trip.
For part 135 there are loopholes that allow you to log sole manipulator time as PIC but part 121 is a different ballgame.

The PIC has the final authority over the operation of the aircraft, is listed as PIC on the release, signs for the aircraft, is the in flight security coordinator etc. Just because you're typed in the aircraft and are manipulating the controls doesn't mean you're the PIC.

If you're an F.O. at a 121 carrier but are logging PIC time you will have a lot of explaining to do at a major carrier interview.