View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 11:34 AM
501D22G
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Originally Posted by Name User View Post
I think you may be conflating issues. So my concern is not AI flown airplanes that think for themselves. It's automating the aircraft so much that we don't need pilots up front operating them. In addition, automating them so much it will devalue the actual skill set.
So you are not worried about an iRobus i320. Okay. Serious question. What pilot tasks do you think can be automated, that don't already have autopilot and/or autothrust automation, to make this venture worth it?

Pushback?
Taxi?
Takeoff?
Rejected takeoff?
Landing?
Rejected landing?
Fire on the ground, and the fire brigade says to "hold off on the evacuation." There's smoke & fire, they say. But not to worry, comrade, hold off for a moment. How long does the automation wait until evacuating? 3rd, 2nd, or 1st degree burns? If it is not automation, but remote pilots, how do they know how bad it is? Is the airplane bristling with cameras as if it were a flying Tesla? What if the camera that has the only correct aspect on the fire is deferred per MEL?
What other emergencies and abnormals can you just automate with IF...THEN statements?

This is such a ludicrous pipe dream once you begin to actually THINK about it.

But we have downsized the crew in recent past:

The FE was removed due to systems automation.

Don't make the erroneous correlation that since we went from 3 to 2, we can go from 2 to 1 or 2 to 0.

You're not going to delete either pilot with more systems automation. They are there for ADM. You cannot build hardware and code software with a "press here for which way to deviate around this wx" button, or, a "well gee, enough people have been burned, let's evacuate" button.

If you are meaning not to delete, but remotely locate the pilots, well good luck with creating a brand-new, air-ground, full-duplex, satellite data network with the

latency
bandwidth
security
low cost

to make it even worth the thought.

Your grandkids won't see airliner UAS. Stop worrying about it.