View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 11:19 AM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by jpmizzou View Post
Navy Helo type with a T-6 IP tour under my belt. I’ve been searching up and down the threads to try and get an idea of what my potential path to a major airline would look like. I’m considering leaving active duty just shy of 16 years as a newly pinned O-5 in early 2021 and going into the reserves to finish out my time for a reserve retirement. I always thought I would stay AD for my 20 and then retire, but finishing out the staff tour I’m currently in, going back to sea duty for another deployment, and trying to figure out another year on the back end of that tour does not sound incredibly appealing. With the way hiring is now and potential quick seniority gains at some of the legacy carriers I’m starting to look hard at what makes the most sense for me and the family.

I’ve got 2770 TT, Split 1620 Helo/1150 fixed wing, my TPIC is at 970. I’ve held NATOPS/STAN, Instrument Check Pilot, Functional Check Pilot, CRM Instructor qual in both the T-6 and H-60. I’m also Aviation Safety Officer qualified, 3.5 GPA both undergrad and graduate degrees, no skeletons/failures in my aviation career.

I’m considering knocking out my CFI/CFII exam and getting recurrent again with some GA flying and volunteering with the local Civil Air Patrol in the interim to keep myself in the cockpit. Also looking at paying out of pocket for the ME license and to start building time, but I’ve seen some programs where the regional would reimburse you.

I don’t mind doing some regional time, but I would be interested in minimizing it as much as possible and hearing how quickly mixed Helo/FW guys like myself are getting picked up by the majors with similar stats. I’m also interested in hearing people’s thoughts about the early jump before retirement, it seems like the verdict is mixed in some of the threads I’ve seen...cheers
I’ve worked with several guys in similar situations to you. A Navy or Marine rotary guy with significant fixed wing time can be hired straight into a heavy fixed wing Guard/Reserve unit to top off your hours and get hired on at a major within 1-2 years. This route pays better than a regional and advances the ball on your retirement.