View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 03:39 PM
HiFlyer992
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by Fox 3 Close View Post
Does anyone know the latest on when it's cool to take long term Mil leave (>1 yr)? I've heard everything from right after Indoc, after consolidation, and after probation. It sounds like AA is more lenient with this, just trying to find the right balance with my Guard job and the company without ****ing anyone off or ruining it for the bros. Thanks.
It is "cool" when it is required by your Guard unit. USERRA is there for a reason.

To caveat that, my thinking was the same as yours, and I wanted to do things in good faith with both of my jobs. Just like everything in life, it depends on your situation. My goal was to consolidate before I went on mil leave because I did not want to go through training at AA for another month when I got back. My unit was willing to work with me on training and seasoning orders so it worked out for me. I consolidated and then went on mil leave.

Bottom line, USERRA is a right not a privilege. If you have orders then you tell them you have orders and will not be at work. It is not a request.